Impact8 fast-tracks high-potential social ventures to a greater stage of investment readiness, helping them attract financing to scale their impact.
The spring 2014 cohort will support innovations that empower individuals to be in control of their health and well-being, enabling living and aging well at home and in the community.
In particular, Impact8 will target ventures that promote:
- Staying healthy
- Remaining at home with a health condition
- Supporting health and life transitions (e.g. between hospital and home)
- Transformative models of care and support
- Strengthening family caregivers and their communities
- Tools for empowerment, enabling access to information and education, and better self-care
Applications for Spring 2014 cohort are now open!
The Impact8 venture bootcamp and acceleration program targets high-impact entrepreneurs with blended value propositions: social enterprises, social purpose businesses and co-operatives with the potential to turn investment into positive social or environmental impact and financial returns. Impact8 leverages the skills and expertise of the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing and of our partners and supporters to deliver targeted workshops and skills development, one-to-one advisory services, mentorship, networking opportunities, peer learning, community profile, investor introductions and pitch opportunities.
Impact8 combines elements of traditional startup accelerators with topics that address the distinct needs of social entrepreneurs. Focus areas include: blended value business models; corporate structures; governance; market sizing and market intelligence; impact measurement; marketing & communications; financial fitness; financing and capital structures; and, investor relations.
Contributors to Impact8 content and advisory services include RBC, TMX, Miller Thomson, KPMG, BDC, MaRS Entrepreneurship Education, MaRS Life Sciences, MaRS ICE, MaRS IAF and Saint Elizabeth.
One peer-selected winner will receive an operational grant from the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing. Impact8 graduates will have access to advisory services offered by MaRS Discovery District, and will be eligible for long-term support through investment and/or strategic partnership with Saint Elizabeth.
Saint Elizabeth is a national health care provider, pioneer and social innovator who is ramping up their work with social entrepreneurs. Encouraging social innovation, entrepreneurship and sustainability will help to achieve their ultimate goal of impacting people, their health, their communities, and the health system.
Who Should Apply?
Impact8 seeks to accelerate startups that have achieved product validation and are seeking investment to grow their enterprise and scale their impact.
- Canadian incorporated for-profit, not for-profit or cooperative organization
- Minimum one-year operational history
- Existing revenue or customers
- Business plan that demonstrates understanding of operational, financial and strategic plans
- Evidence of relevant expertise within management/officers and directors
- Demonstrable, measureable impact in target outcome areas
- Participants must work full-time on their venture and be seeking or raising capital.
The 8-week program will run from April-June, and will include two days bi-weekly of in-person workshops, complemented by one-to-one advisory from service providers and mentors, and culminate in an investor pitch fair. Participants must be present in Toronto during all in-person programming.
Apply now! Applications close Monday, February 24.
Questions? Contact Trish Nixon at firstname.lastname@example.org or (647) 255-5212