Social Impact Investment Taskforce, launched by the G8
The Social Impact Investment Taskforce aims to catalyze the development of the global social impact investment market. It was launched following the June 2013 G8 Social Impact Investment Forum in London, under the chairmanship of Sir Ronald Cohen.
Most recently, in September 2014 the Taskforce published a report entitled “Impact Investing: The Invisible Heart of Markets” highlighting recommendations for developing this market. This report is also available in French, here.
The MaRS Centre for Impact Investing, with members of Canada’s National Advisory Board to the Social Impact Investment Taskforce, opened the Toronto Stock Exchange to celebrate the launch of Canada’s parallel report, Mobilizing Private Capital for Public Good: Priorities for Canada.
Ilse Treurnicht, CEO, MaRS Discovery District, Tim Jackson, Director, MaRS Centre for Impact Investing, and Siobhan Harty, Director General of Social Policy, Employment and Social Development Canada, joined Tom Kloet, CEO, TMX Group, to open the market and share key insights from the report.
A panel on the future of Canada’s impact investing marketplace followed featuring Sarah Doyle, Senior Policy Advisor, MaRS Centre for Impact Investing; David Bowden, CEO, Habitat for Humanity Canada; Andy Broderick, VP, Community Investment, Vancity; Nancy Neamtan, President and Executive Director, Chantier de l’économie sociale; and Hilary Pearson, President, Philanthropic Foundations Canada.
About the Taskforce
The Taskforce membership includes one government official and one non-government expert with experience in finance, business or philanthropy, from each participating country. Most G8 nations, as well as the European Union, are represented. Australia has observer status.
Canada is represented by Siobhan Harty, Director General of Social Policy, Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), and Tim Jackson, EVP Corporate and Community Development, MaRS Discovery District and Lead Executive, MaRS Centre for Impact Investing.
Taskforce meetings are intended to focus on the state of the social impact investment market in the host region, and on the infrastructure required to build a global market. Meeting locations and dates included: Washington (October 2013), London (December 2013), Berlin (February 2014), Paris (April 2014), London (June 2014), and Rome (post-publication, October 2014).
The Taskforce is being supported by National Advisory Boards, as well as by thematic Working Groups focused on impact measurement, asset allocation, mission alignment, and international development.
Further information can be found here.
What is the role of the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing?
Ted Anderson, former Director of the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing, was asked to serve as the non-government representative for Canada on the Social Impact Investment Taskforce. With deep sadness, we regret to inform that Ted Anderson passed away this past spring after a long battle with cancer. His replacement is now Tim Jackson, Senior Advisor Capital Solutions, MaRS Discovery District.
In addition to serving on the Taskforce, non-government representatives are chairing National Advisory Boards – expert groups tasked with providing input to the Taskforce. The MaRS Centre for Impact Investing acts as the secretariat for Canada’s National Advisory Board.
Members of the National Advisory Board include:
- Co-Chair: Ilse Treurnicht, CEO of MaRS Discovery District and Chair of the Canadian Task Force on Social Finance
- Co-Chair: Tim Jackson, Senior Advisor Capital Solutions, MaRS and Director of the MaRS Centre for Impact Investing
- Derek Ballantyne, CEO, Community Forward Fund
- Andy Broderick, Vice President, Community Investment, Vancity Credit Union
- Tim Brodhead, Interim President and CEO of the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation and former President and CEO of the J.W. McConnell Family Foundation
- Tania Carnegie, National Executive Director, Community Leadership, KPMG Canada
- Wayne Chiu, Founder and Director, Trico Developments Corporation and Chairman, Trico Charitable Foundation
- Stacey Corriveau, Executive Director of the BC Centre for Social Enterprise
- Garth Davis, CEO, New Market Funds
- Tim Draimin, Executive Director, Social Innovation Generation
- Brian Emmett, Chief Economist, Imagine Canada
- Martin Garber-Conrad, CEO, Edmonton Community Foundation
- Stanley Hartt, Counsel at Norton Rose Fulbright and former Chairman of Macquarie Capital Markets Canada
- Edward Jackson, Associate Professor, School of Public Policy and Administration and Senior Research Fellow, Centre for Community Innovation, Carleton University
- Tim Jackson, Senior Advisor, Capital Solutions, MaRS Discovery District, former Vice President, University Relations, University of Waterloo, and founder of Tech Capital Partners
- Diane Kelderman, President and CEO, Atlantic Economics and CEO, Nova Scotia Cooperative Council
- Pierre Legault, CEO, Renaissance
- Marguerite Mendell, Associate Professor, School of Community and Public Affairs, Concordia University
- Nancy Neamtan, President and Executive Director of the Chantier de l’économie sociale
- Joel Solomon, CEO, Renewal Funds
- Coro Strandberg, Principal, Strandberg Consulting
- Rosalie Vendette, Senior Advisor, Socially Responsible Investment, Desjardins Group
- Jean Vincent, President and General Manager, Native Commercial Credit Corporation
- Bill Young, President of Social Capital Partners
Questions or comments?
Contact Sarah Doyle, Senior Policy Advisor for more information